Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

I was convicted and did 20 days in jail and 4 years

Customer Question

I was convicted and did 20 days in jail and 4 years probation and I was finished with everything, and at the end of 2015 all my charges were dismissed from the appeal. How can I get my money back from probation and the days I spent in jail?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If you appealed your conviction and the court vacated your conviction, then you need to file a claim with the DA in the county where you were convicted for your payment for wrongful incarceration. If the DA will not agree to compensate you for wrongfully convicting you, since Oregon has no statute providing mandatory compensation for wrongful convictions and incarcerations, you would need a local attorney and you have to sue the DA and state for the compensation for wrongfully convicting you and sending you to jail for something you should not have been convicted on according to the appeals court.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
how do we write the letter to the D.A for compensation?
Thank you for your reply.
You send a letter first to the DA asking for compensation for wrongful conviction and incarceration, just a simple letter, and give them 30 days to reply. If they do not reply in 30 days, then you have satisfied the notice requirement and you would have to file a civil suit against the DA and state and seek your compensation through a civil court lawsuit.