CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.

I have a lien place on my home from a vendor to whom I have

Customer Question

I have a lien place on my home from a vendor to whom I have no contractual agreement and to whom I owe no money. How do I go about removing it? Can I petition the court?
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 7 months ago.

Dear Customer,

You can remove it by going to court, but the process is a somewhat complicated procedure called a "Quiet Title Action" - so you are probably going to want to hire one of those attorneys that you have contacted to represent you.

Ideally you are going to be able to have the company remove this "cloud" on your title prior to having to file suit, but if not, you can file your civil claim against them and force the matter to trial at which time you can force the creditor to try to prove their right to lien the property, if they cannot the court will enter a judgment voiding the lien.

But again, the court procedure to do this is somewhat complicated (quiet title is a form of complex litigation), and I really do recommend retaining a lawyer. If you cannot retain an attorney, I would recommend visiting your local law library and carefully reviewing a Civil Practice Guide (a book used by attorneys to help with procedure) to prosecute this case yourself. The Quiet Title process is heavily dependent on procedure and it is critical that you get it right.

If you are not happy/comfortable with the attorney that you spoke with earlier, you can speak with other attorneys until you find one that you are comfortable with. You can find local attorneys using the State and local Bar Association directories, or private directories such as;; or (I personally find to be the most user friendly).