John, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed and practicing attorney.

I am caren, i need to write a responce to a unemployment

Customer Question

i am caren, i need to write a responce to a unemployment compensation for one of our former employees
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: my boss fired an employee for insubordination, and now this employee filed for unemployeement i am not sure on how to answer this back
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $36 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Expert:  John replied 7 months ago.

Basically what you have to do to disqualify the employee from unemployment is prove misconduct. Insubordination can be considered misconduct which, “is a substantial breach by the employee of an important duty or obligation owed to the employer, willful or wanton in character, and tending to injure the employer”.

The test for misconduct is essentially volitional. “The conduct may be harmful to the employer’s interests and justify the employee’s discharge; nevertheless, it evokes the disqualification for unemployment insurance benefits only if it is willful, wanton or equally culpable.” It can be shown by presenting, “An employee’s deliberate disobedience of a lawful and reasonable instruction of the employer, related to the employer’s business, is misconduct”. You do this by presenting evidence of disciplinary actions, write-ups, and offer oral testimony (from HR, co-workers, or other personnel) to show that the employee willfully violated company protocol as delineated in written policies and/or handbooks.

What you'll want to do do is explain in detail the insubordination and provide if possible any and all documents that show a) the rule, b) the write ups or notes from meetings held, c) an explanation of the number of times and or warnings about such acts, and finally d) the final decision in writing. Now if the employer doesn't keep these records really all you have to rely on is your witnesses there - the boss, co-workers managers - they should put together statements to submit as proof. It's a lot to work to do, but if you go to hearing on it you'll need something to present in anyway.

Expert:  John replied 7 months ago.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – simply reply to this answer. If you're otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as itis the only way I am able to get credit for my answers. Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.