LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  9+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.

Im i responsible back paying i was never billed for the y

Customer Question

Im i responsible for paying back paying for something i was never billed for the y made a mistake and never billed me for it then they see there mistake and now drop all there fees and demand that i pay the full balance
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 7 months ago.

Good morning. Can you share with me a little about what was going on? Did you not notice you were never getting billed for it?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok this bill is from the water dept and according to them i wasnt fully billed because they made a mistake and did not bill me for garbage bin which we have its a large bin and everyone in the plaza uses so i thought we didnt have to pay for it and i really never paid attention that it wasnt on my bill and their also charging me for a recical bin which iv never had one and al billing me for mosquito spray and not on my bill eighther and a 10 % tax for some taxes that the city charges for when in the state of fla the taxes are 6% this accumulated to over $2300.00 and there saying i can pay this in payment in a certain amount of months and here we have what we call dead season because of the field work meaning work slows down ans we barely make enough to pay rent and bills especially in small business i feel like i shouldnt have to pay for it i paid what they billed me for it was their mistake they didnt write those charges on the bill and this amount was acumulated back from when i opened my account and they just noticed it ooo and they told me they will printe my bill by march 16 and the full balance will show on my bill and if i dont pay it and we dont come down to an agreement i guess meaning the payment plan they will disconect my water if not paid by the due date
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I opened this account back in feb 2014

Thank you. You would need to pay for the services provided. When signing up and using the water department, you should have been told and informed and known, what you would be charged and paying for. If you received the benefits of the service, the money would be owed. Yes, it was their mistake but they can come back and ask that you pay. In this case, it would be unreasonable to just demand a lump sum payment but if they are offering a payment plan, then it would need to be worked out and accepted, so they do not disconnect your water. This is an example of unjust enrichment. Unjust enrichment is a legal concept referring to situations in which one person is enriched at the expense of another in circumstances which the law treats as unjust. If there are slow times now, you need to see if you could pay a smaller amount per month now and then when business picks up, the balance at that time.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.