Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989

How do I bring gold to the USA from Ghana, It is a large

Customer Question

How do I bring gold to the USA from Ghana
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: It is a large amount of gold that I need to bring on a regular basis
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $36 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 7 months ago.

People who ask a question like this are generally the unknowing victims of an Internet scam? Is this gold supposedly an inheritance?

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 7 months ago.

I was hoping to hear from you. I can give you an answer to your question. If I'm being presumptuous and this is not an internet scam, you can disregard that portion of my answer.

As I have indicated, customers who ask a question like this on this site -- and you wouldn't believe how many people do ask this every day -- are usually involved with an internet romance who has convinced them that they are an heiress.

Frequently, the so-called heiress also claims that her inheritance, which is generally sitting in the vaults of some storage company, is contingent on her finding the right man to marry. And then, suddenly, though you've never met her in your life and have no idea if she is real or not, tag, you're it. You're told that you're the right man and that it's your job to clear her inheritance so that she can send it to the States and you and she can live happily and wealthily ever after. She may even tell you that she has put the gold into your name and sent you so-called high court orders to that effect. The scam comes complete with phony documents that are not remotely legal, with phony barristers and phony bankers. Sometimes, there's even a phony proxy marriage ceremony.

All of this is nonsense, and if this is what's happening here, you need to walk away from it. All you have are a team of scammers working hard to find ways to convince you that you're obligated to send money to Ghana. And more money. And more money. And more money. All to get gold that doesn't really exist to woo a woman who doesn't really exist either.

If there's nothing above that is relevant to your situation, here's what you need to know:

Ghana is a very poor third world country, but the country does have gold mines and the government strictly controls how and when gold can leave Ghana. One must make arrangements with the government to send gold abroad. It all must go through Ghana's PMMC, a government agency that regulates gold exports.

You would need to get yourself a lawyer in Ghana to do this right. However, Ghana is one of the world's scam capitals. Don't find a lawyer from any source that you don't actually know in person. The best way to make sure you end up retaining a real Ghanaian lawyer is to call the US Embassy in Accra and ask them for some names of reputable lawyers who can assist you to bring gold over. That way, you won'tt be fooled.

You can read more about the PMMC and the exporting of gold from Ghana here. The site involves exporting to Australia, but you'll get the idea of the PMMC involvement. Their own website appears to be down today.