Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney
Experience:  Partner at Kent Law Group, LLC

When married couples in New York City, NY acquire property:

Customer Question

When married couples in New York City, NY acquire property: is that property community property?
Expert:  Olivia Kent replied 7 months ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. I'll be happy to help you.

And I want to confirm before we begin ... you're aware how this site works - that in order for us to receive credit for working with you, you need to submit a satisfactory rating - if you feel the performance of the person you're working with is satisfactory EVEN IF you're not necessarily happy with what the law is. Are those terms acceptable to you?

This site is for educational purposes only. Sometimes - although certainly not always - experts have to give you what you deem “bad news” but that should not be a reflection of how satisfied you are with the assistance your expert provided. Experts on this site receive credit for assisting you when you click the rating (the stars) so please submit a rating prior to logging off. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. New York is NOT a community property state; property in this state is divided by equitable distribution, which often does - but does not have to - be 50/50. The division is based on what is "fair." Please let me know if you have any questions or you need me to clarify anything. Please also submit a rating if you're satisfied with your assistance. We only get credit for the type we take assisting you if you are satisfied AND ALSO ​submit a rating. And please don't feel like we have to stop talking after you submit a rating. I'd be more than happy to continue working with you after that as well.