Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

In 2011 I was sentenced to 6 2nddegree burglary charges in

Customer Question

In 2011 I was sentenced to 6 2nddegree burglary charges in mn and my sentence was stayed and I was given up to 20 years of probation....how many years of that probation do I have to serve before I can be discharged off of probation
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.

Hello

This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.

There is no statute or rule that expressly sets forth a procedure for early discharge from probation but the courts in some counties routinely do so, in the exercise of their discretion, for probationers who are doing well. This will depend on how well you have been in compliance and I suggest you will want to discuss this with your probation agent, as you will need them to provide information in your favor to the court when you file your Motion.

Generally, however, at least 1/2 of the probation needs to be served before a Probation Agent will agree to help. A court usually does not allow an early discharge without the favorable report and agreement from the Probation Agent.

Please let me know here if you have other questions or need clarification. Otherwise a Positive rating ensures i get credit for my time.