Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

If there is a corporate credit card issued in someones name

Customer Question

If there is a corporate credit card issued in someones name and it is not always used for business. Is there anything that can be legally done to them
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.

.

Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.

I'm so sorry this popped up on my screen inadvertently while I was responding to another question. Therefore, I am going to opt out to open your question up to all experts so another expert can hopefully timely provide you the information you seek. Please do not respond to this post as it will only slow the process of such an expert picking up your question. Take care.

Expert:  Ely replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Can you please tell me a little more about the situation:

1) What state is this in?

2) Who is using the card - an employee, etc? Your business? Or, is this somewhere you work? In other word, what is the background on this situation and what is your position in relation to the situation?

This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
State is Illinois it is an employee that has a card issued in their name
Expert:  Ely replied 8 months ago.

Thank you. Let us say that employee's name is "Bob."

Who are you to the business? Are you another employee who knows what Bob is doing? Or are you Bob's manager or supervisor? Etc.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Neither. .This is information for a friend of mine
Expert:  Ely replied 8 months ago.

Okay. Anyhow, yes, there can be three levels of action.

ADMINISTRATIVE

The employee may be demoted/terminated once this is found out.

CIVIL

If the employer wants to, the employee may be sued for the money that they used for personal use on the credit card.

CRIMINAL

If the employer wants to, the employer can file a criminal complaint. The employee may then be liable criminally and may face criminal charges of embezzlement/theft. However without knowing more (what actually happened, how much was spent, what state this is in), it is hard to say exactly what kind of criminal charges he may be facing.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Expert:  Ely replied 8 months ago.
Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!