Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer

I am being summoned to small claims court today. do i have

Customer Question

i am being summoned to small claims court today. do i have to go?? If i dont go what will happen. I live in Illinois.
JA: OK. The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: I was summoned to court for debt collection
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: small claims court
JA: Our top Lawyer is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Lawyer in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Lawyer until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 7 months ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

A Summons is a Notice to Appear. When a person who is being sued does not appear, they automatically lose the case. That also means, you'd be forfeiting the right to defend yourself. Now, if you admit that you owe the amount of money they're asking for, you can make the decision to save the time of going to court. But if you dispute either owning them ANYTHING or owing the amount they're currently seeking, you'll have to go to court to defend yourself. You can't appeal a judgment if you've been served with notice of the suit and not appeared in court.

Illinois law allows a creditor to use a judgment to garnish up to 15% of your wages, as long as your weekly earnings exceed $371.25. They can also use it to take funds in any bank account with your name on it, including joint accounts. They could also use it to put a lien on your home, if you own it. The first $15,000 in equity is exempt ($30,000 if you own it with a spouse), but the lien will stay for 7 years.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.