Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

I belong to a L.A. Fitness gym. recently they came up with a

Customer Question

i belong to a L.A. Fitness gym. recently they came up with a new policy that there can be NO bags on the floor. i explained that there is nothing in my contract regarding gym bags although there is very explicit behavior guidelines included in the contract that can invalidate the contract. i also stated that there are no signs posted in the gyms in regards ***** ***** bags. i understand their position, especially in regards ***** ***** or small duffle bags. however, i stated that i would "wear" my gym bag, which is a small drawstring bag. and they are stating that i can't even wear the bag because it's a "slippery slope" and everyone might want to wear a bag. can L.A. Fitness revoke my membership for non-compliance with they new policy that prevents me from even wearing my gym bag?
Expert:  Sam replied 8 months ago.

Hello

This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.

Yes. As per the terms of your contract if it says the terms and conditions are subject to change without notice. And if there is a provision in your contract that says any member who fails to adhere to the rules, regulations, restrictions and policies can be restricted from the premises. Keep in mind, that if they ask you to leave or follow the policy and you do not, they can have you arrested for trespassing. Additionally, if they restrict you from entering because of your failure to adhere to the policy, that does not mean your contract is terminated. In other words, they can continue to charge your membership.

So I suggest you read your contract thoroughly and carefully for those provisions.

Please let me know here if you have other questions or need clarification. Otherwise a Positive rating ensures i get credit for my time.