Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

I work in a large dealership body shop. We close repair

Customer Question

I work in a large dealership body shop. We close repair orders to recievables sheets. Over the last five years multiple writers have left with uncollectible recievables. In fear of getting fired I started covering the bad recievables with incoming checks to the dealer for other repairs to make the schedule look current. I know if was not right but is it illegal or can they sue for me for the last funds ? No checks or money left the dealer they were just used on other repairs
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
What you did was fraud, since you covered receivables with money from other payments. The dealer actually did lose money in that the bad receivables could have been sued over, but the dealer did not have the opportunity to do so because you showed them as paid. It is a form of theft, it is theft by fraud, and if you are caught they could seek to file criminal charges and they could also seek to sue you for the losses that this did cause the dealer to incur by losing their ability to know they could sue on the unpaid receivables you covered.