Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I am live alone I call police because the contractor that

Customer Question

I am 69 live alone I call police because the contractor that had been doing work for me. Walked in on me unannounced, claiming he left equipment in my home. I asked him to leave. They contractors had left me with a great deal of damage. If he had equipment in my home. If he had called. Informed me where it was. I would not have had a problem. Is was a forceful act toward me. For I had put in writing what damages they had not addressed.
The police came I gave them permission to look for what the contractor said he left. I do not know why it was left. Unless they were using me as a storage place. I know they had moved the business. The police found where the contractor had hidden the equipment. I allowed them to retrieve the equipment. I told the officer I wanted to file charges the contractor. He went to the gentleman, Officer came back said he file criminal trespassing. Then he said he did not think it would go through. Why would officer tell me that?
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 8 months ago.

I am so sorry to hear that. I'm surprised the officer said that. The only reason I think they might have said that is they believe you gave the contractor consent to leave equipment when you hired them initially. It is sort of like implied consent. I do not agree with the officer but that may be where he is coming from. I would probably let the issue be unless you have proof that they stole something. Filing a Legal action without actual damages incurred can be very futile at times.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I do not understand the answer I received. They spray painted everything, Broke my new Stove. Plumbing on dishwasher run only cold water. The faucet in the sink you turn on cold you get hot. you turn on hot you get cold. They were to clean up. Boxes stacked to the ceiling. Contractor knew I lived alone. 300lb man force toward me when I ask him to leave my home he invaded when he could have call and announce himself. The officer say the criminal trespassing charge I filed would probably not go any where.State/Country relating to question: Georgia
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
I am a DIFFERENT contributor.
First of all, even if he was a contractor doing work in your home, if he did not perform properly and you terminated his services, he no longer had any right to come onto your premises, that is the trespassing. However, I do know why the officer said what he said, it is because there will be a dispute here regarding whether or not there was a breach of contract, as you know the contractor will dispute that, and in those types of cases the district attorney typically will refer the case to civil court and not take criminal charges.
So what is likely to happen here is the DA will tell you to file a civil suit against the contractor for breach of contract and as part of that suit you can seek damages for the bad work he did and also for him trespassing into your property after the contract was ended by you.