CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
71563194

I work in a body shop, owned by a relative, there's no paint

Customer Question

I work in a body shop, owned by a rich relative, there's no paint booth, everything we do is not according to OSHA standards; we spray without a paint booth, in an enclosed unventilated area. I started working here at the age of 17- current/20. The chemicals and all the clear coat I breathe in has harmed my lungs, my body and I recently developed a kidney tumor. Would I have a case against him? Also he never has once payed me real overtime in the last couple years, everything I get over 80 hours he gives me cash on the side. I just don't know what I should do!
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 9 months ago.

Dear Customer,

I am very sorry to learn of this situation.

Yes, you can sue your relative, and you will want a local employment attorney to represent you (you are facing a huge claim, you do not want to try to do this yourself "pro per").

You can find local employment law attorneys using the State and local Bar Association directories, or private directories such as www.AVVO.com; www.FindLaw.com; or www.Martindale.com (I personally find www.AVVO.com to be the most user friendly).