Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

While my son () was still married to s now ex wife she

Customer Question

While my son (Lance) was still married to his now ex wife she forged signatures of checks written to him for his companies business owned my him and a partner. She kept that cash and likely used if for her lawyer retainer. This was 2 to 3 years past.
She recently got new employment as a company accountant using Lance’s company as a work reference. During the same time she claimed in her resume to the new employee she was working for my Lance’s company she filed for and received unemployment from the MN unemployment department.
Keep in mind she is now employed a an accountant. There is issues of fraud and embezzlement . Is there any legal actions my son should take against her, and what action
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If she committed these acts of theft and forgery, then they should have been reported when discovered. Failure to report it 2-3 years ago can hurt the DA from prosecuting it, but there is a 6 year statute of limitations for theft and forgery in MN, so all your son can do is file a report with the DA and ask for them to prosecute. He can also sue her on behalf of the company, which would mean he needs an attorney to represent the company to sue her.
If she committed unemployment fraud, that would get reported to the state unemployment division with proof of his allegations that she was working while receiving unemployment and they will pursue her on that violation.
Those are your son's options.