Delta-Lawyer
Delta-Lawyer, Attorney
Experience:  10 years practicing IP law and general litigation
12711280

Can a ny death certificate be amended to show "also know

Customer Question

can a ny death certificate be amended to show "also know as" ?
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 10 months ago.

The short answer is, yes, it can be amended if there is cause. The wife or children (or parents) of the deceased would have to file a petition in the court in the county in which the person passed to amend the death certificate. In so doing, the petition would have to show who the petitioner is and would have to demonstrate a need for the death certificate to be amended. Nationally, the most common reason is that the person's birth certificate, social security card and/or death certificate reflect different names for the same person (this happens in particularly with women that are married multiple times in life).

Let me know if you have any other questions or comments. Please rate my answer positively (three or more stars) as well.

Best!

Just checking in this morning to see if you had any other questions or comments. I want you to be as comfortable as possible as you move forward on this issue. Thanks

Just checking one last time on you to see if there are any other issues. Thanks