How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 28087
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Received a disorderly conduct charge and just wanting to

Customer Question

received a disorderly conduct charge and just wanting to know how I can keep from getting the worst outcome
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I got into an argument with a gentleman because he was being impatient while i was at a stop sign. He had followed me to a friends home and he called the police saying that I was drunk and I assaulted him but the assault charge was dropped, Due to a lack of evidence.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $36 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 10 months ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

The worst outcome in a criminal case is typically reserved for individuals with extensive criminal records. The odds of you getting the worst outcome are extremely low, even if you do absolutely nothing. However, you have the ability to try to negotiate with the district attorney to achieve an outcome that you feel is acceptable. That might mean paying a low fine, or serving a term of probation and doing community service, or something like that.

You also have the ability to plead not guilty, request a trial, and make the district attorney prove beyond a reasonable doubt that you acted in a disorderly manner. They can't make you testify against yourself, so they'll have to call the other driver to testify against you. You'll be able to ask him questions to prove that he's lying. And if anyone else witnessed the incident, you can bring them in to testify on your behalf. With that said, a person usually gets a more favorable outcome if they plead guilty and negotiate a deal than if they are found guilty after a trial. You have a right to have a local attorney assist you in negotiating if you want one.

If you have any questions or concerns about what I've written, please reply so that I may address them. If I did not address the specific thing that you wanted to know, it may not have come across clearly to me, so please restate that question. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I provide. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so that I get credit for answering your question. Thank you.

Related Legal Questions