Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

My friend's ex-husband secretly have her friends who have

Customer Question

My friend's ex-husband secretly have her friends who have contacts with their children investigated for criminal records, I want to know if that is legal.
Expert:  Roger replied 11 months ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

What exactly are these people doing to investigate the criminal records of these people?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Her ex-husband constantly harasses her about issues that relates to their two young children. He secretly investigate one of her friends and found out that this friend has a son that was convicted of drug possession three years ago. Now he is trying to stop her from taking the children to this friends house, My question is whether he has the right to do this, my friend is not looking into the people has in his life that has contacts with their children.(hope I am clear) thanks
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I am not sure what and how he is doing it-- but some how he has the record.
Expert:  Roger replied 11 months ago.

Ok. Thanks.

There's nothing illegal about checking public records of other people or doing background checks on anyone you'd like to. In fact, it's now pretty simple with the internet. You can get a criminal background check within a matter of minutes. So, as long as the person isn't illegally accessing confidential databases (like NCIC or some other government information site reserved for law enforcement), it's likely completely legal.

Expert:  Roger replied 11 months ago.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions. Also, please take time to positively rate our conversation so I may receive credit for assisting. Thank you!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
But is it right for him to tell her that this person's mother can not watch the children anymore(this person lives with his mom). He had a past and he is not the baby sitter(his mom is). She does not go around investigating the people he has around the children.
Expert:  Roger replied 11 months ago.

Well, he has the right to object as a parent, but the mother doesn't have to go along with it......IF the father wants to push the issue and keep the child away from this person, he can ask the court to enter a restraining order or to prohibit contact. But, short of him taking that action, there's really no authority in his objections.