socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
10097515

1. can i use my house to be collateral, to do a personal

Customer Question

1. can i use my house to be collateral, to do a personal loan from family member?
2. Can my family member enforce the personal loan legal form?
3. If I can't pay for the personal loan, could they really take my house?
4. The family member is only 3 years old (but the legal guardian) will be the one who is going to sign the legal forms, does the 3 years old need to file tax?
5. Does the legal guardian need to pay tax (even though it's not his money)?
6. Can I deduct the personal interested that I will be paying in my tax?
Expert:  socrateaser replied 9 months ago.

Hello...you asked:

A: Yes, you can give the family member a promissory note and deed of trust to secure the note to the house.

A: Yes.

A: Yes, if you give them a deed of trust to secure the loan.

A: No. The family member can add the child's interest on the family member's tax return.

A: Yes, unless the amount of the interest is greater than $100,000. If greater, then you cannot deduct the additional interest amounts.

I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer -- otherwise, the website retains your entire payment, and I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
1. Can I get a personal loan without interest? Is that legal?
2. If something happen to me (like if I die) and I have $100,000 personal loan to a family member. And if they had to sell the house because it's the collateral and let say they got $150,000 for it. (The house was originally purchased for $50,000, so the gain on the property is $100,000) So if my defendant sold the house for $150,000 and paid the personal loan $100,000. Does he need to pay the gain tax from the $100,000 profit?
Sorry if that's a bit confusing. I was told if you have a loan out upon your death then you just have to pay gain tax after you pay off all the outstanding loan.

A: Yes, but the IRS will "impute" interest on the loan to the lender, if the lender is discovered to have failed to charge fair market interest on the loan.

A: If they are the property owner, then there would be no taxable gain, unless the profit is greater than $250,000. And, at your death, the family member would get a "step up in basis," to fair market value. This typically makes any subsequent sale tax free.

A: See above.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
profit of $250,000?Personal upon death Loan: $2,000,000 (unpaid)
Property upon death Value: $2,250,000 (SOLD after death)Would that mean you don't have to pay for any Gain Tax?

Correct.