Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

I was arrested 2/13 (Saturday) Petit theft misdemeanor

Customer Question

I was arrested 2/13 (Saturday) for Retail Petit theft misdemeanor ($153) taken to jail -finger printed -picture taken- then released about two hours after paper work was processed and told to wait for a court date by mail, I have never been in trouble in my life never even set foot in a court room, as told the officer and dept store I was out celebrating with a Freinds 50th birthday and on DARE ( either that or a getting a tattoo) we thought we would do something crazy and obviously stupid on my part cause I took the DARE and got caught, the very following day I sent the dept store an apology letter along with a check for the amount of the items $153 and asked them to forward to there corporate offices and apply to there charity of choice on my behalf, just trying to right a wrong in a small way, and a few days later the store attorney sent me a letter asking to pay a fine of $200 of which I paid immediately, so far I have spent $253.00 of which I had no problem doing since I was at fault but I have a few questions now that you have all the details. (1) will they notify my employer -I have worked as a teacher at the same school for almost 15 years (2) will I be sent to jail to serve time for the theft (3) should I take an attorney with me on the court date which I have not been given yet????
Expert:  LawTalk replied 9 months ago.

Good afternoon Yvette,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

This seems like a very crucial matter for you, and your questions and issues suggest that an in-depth conversation might best suit your needs. If you are interested, for a nominal charge I can offer you a completely private phone conference as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread. Let me know if you don't want a call and I will be happy continue here with an answer for you.

Either way, whether I call you or not, in order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. Did the store ask you to sign anything as part of the settlement process when they asked you to pay the $200 penalty?

2. When is your first court date----have you received the court date yet?

3. Can you afford a private defense attorney to negotiate a plea on your behalf?

4. Do you work for a public school district or a private school?

Thanks in advance,

Doug