Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of experience
77476456

I require a wheelchair accessible vehicle. My vehicle is in

Customer Question

I require a wheelchair accessible vehicle. My vehicle is in the shop for 12 days for a insurance related damage. I have Rental Car Coverage but my insurance company States they won't pay for a wheelchair accessible vehicle or pay the extra money it cost to obtain a wheelchair accessible rental vehicle. Is This legal? I live in the state of Michigan.
Expert:  Gerald, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

This question is controlled by the federal Ameircans with Disabilities Act. Title III of the Act prohibits private companies from discriminating agaginst a person with disabilities in regard to the sale of pructs and services. The US Department of Justice has been aggressive in pursuing rntal car comanies for not providing accessible vehicles and recently entered into a settlement agreement with one of the larger rental car companies. See:

http://www.ada.gov/enterprise_sa.htm

This is a strong indication favorable to your position. However, it is a little less clear as to how the ADA is being applied to auto insurance companies and the car rental coverage uder their policies. It appears that federal courts have been mixed in their determination. This lask of clarity should not deter you however. You can file discrimination complaints with both the US Department of Justice as well as Michigan's Civil RIghts Office:

http://www.ada.gov/t3compfm.htm

http://www.usccr.gov/pubs/crd/stateloc/mi.htm

It costs you nothing to file these complaints.

Here is a link to a Law review Article that discusses this issue in detail:

Are Insurance Companies Liable under the Americans with Disabilities Act - Berkeley Law Scholarship Repository - University of California, Berkeley

scholarship.law.berkeley.edu › viewcontent

It is a PDF and should download. If it does not Google it and the link should appear.

I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

I hope the information I have provided is useful to you and that I have earned a positive rating from you. It costs you nothing extra, and is the only way I get credit for my attempt to assist you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.

Good luck,

Please note: Information given is not legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.