Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
8534270

I red a lawyer to help with my Medicaid app my father and

Customer Question

I hired a lawyer to help with my Medicaid app for both my father and mother....with my father's claim every thing when smooth except I made an error on one item to which he expressed his dissatisfaction angularly...to this day not sure what I did wrong...But being a good Navy Veteran navigated the way with through the process without any additional reprimands....!!! He offer no assistance, his fee was just shy of $8000. per person...I argued the case and 2 1/2 years got a award of the month medical fees to which he was disqualified earlier for not participating in physical therapy. At 92 he suffered from high arches and liked his wheelchair....he died comfortably.
With my mother's pay down all when well until and I have no reason for the lack of assistance when it came to transferring my father's stock into my name....on each time I call same assistant on how to do the issue, I was not familiar with the procedure and each time a total of 3 when she answered the phone call I was told the same line....Richard have to get this completed and before the deadline and then ended the call.
It took me three sessions the stock transfer people where not helpful and the delay resulted in me paying $1500. additional fees for my mother care as she was in Rehab at the nursing home and transition from rehab for a urinary infection and diabetes to which she had not been diagnosed previously. She stay in the nursing home for 5 years following my getting the application done with out any other incident...she passed away 28 Dec. 2015. I have never brought up the lack of council with the lawyer regarding the issue.
In the span of 10 years my father died in 2007 he was on Medicaid for only 9 months my Mother went into the hospital and then nursing home in 2011 and was there until 2015. Once she was paid down in that year....all was done except the deed of her house. After finding out from the Insurance company that they would no longer insure the property I notified the attorney to which within 3 days I was in his office transferring the deed. 11 May 2015. He told me at that time this should have been while I was 65. I am 70 as Oct of last year.
The final issue with the attorney is to have him fill out the 3 page form for the inheritance tax which I have a copy in hand. He wants to charge me another 500. or as he said between 500 and 800....we will see....I completed the necessary accounting of all of the Funeral expenses. Delivered them to his office on the 29th of Feb...I ask to see him he told assistant to tell me he would call me ....!! Not sure how to follow up with future discussions to resolve these issues.... ???? Richard He also said that if I get the info to him and the tax is paid before a certain date there is a discount...!!!
Following my mother's passing
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you .Can you post the rest of your information here it got cut off.

Following my mother's passing ......

Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

The inheritance tax is due at the date of death and becomes delinquent nine months after the date of death. There is a discount of 5 percent of the tax paid or the tax due, whichever is less, when the payment is made within three months of the date of death.

Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

So make sure you pay here within 3 months because you get 5% discount as you state here.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.If you have more follow up it is not a problem, just let me know here.

Thanks again.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That is correct
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

I can offer you unlimited chat here, not set up for phone calls, will send you offer, thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my efforts would be to complete the Inheritance Tax tack first...On the app. line 13 tilted Charitable I made a $300.000 pledge to my my college would that go against the property tax ask of my mother's house which I now own on the appraisal amount of $130,000...???
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

Yes you want to get this done first to get the discount if you can here.You could write off the charitable contribution.

Thanks for the follow up.

Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

If you can positive rate it is always much appreciated.