Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

We bought a condo 7 years ago. We have had a leak in the

Customer Question

We bought a condo 7 years ago. We have had a leak in the ceiling for approx. 6 years. The condo company has numerous times tried to fix it. They have repaired and painted 3 times. When we get heavy rain and wind guess what we get our leak back. Two days ago the roofing company came and said the roof is not the problem - it's the exterior of the building. Two months ago the management company had a basket truck come and they say they fixed all holes. Back to square one! We paid $269,900. We are in Niantic Ct. One block from Lonf Island sound. What can we do please?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, it is not just as simple as getting your money back and moving on. If the repairs are the duty of the condo association, then your rights are only to make them provide proper repairs. This means you have to get an engineer out to to determine the exact issue that needs to be corrected and how (I know what the roofer said, as you mentioned above, and the association claims to have fixed holes, but you need a real engineer to determine the issue causing the leak before you know what more to do). Once you have an expert report on what is necessary to cure the leak, then you have a right to force the association to repair it, that is your legal right though, not to cancel the sale 7 years later I am afraid.