ScottyMacEsq, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
19487448

Six months ago I received paperwork eviction. I called my

Customer Question

Six months ago I received paperwork for an eviction. I called my landlord to find out what the eviction was for and I was told it was an automated thing and was a mistake and was advised to disregard the notice. Now I am looking for a bigger apartment and just found out that an eviction is showing on my credit report, per the leasing company I submitted an application to. When I contacted the the landlord I was told it was that an eviction was filed against me and dismissed. She said there should not be a judgment against me. How can I go about removing this as it’s preventing me from finding new housing because it doesn’t show “dismissed” on my credit report. I live in the state of NJ
Expert:  ScottyMacEsq replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Technically the eviction doesn't show up on a credit report, but on a tenant screening report. It's done at the same time, as part of your background check. You want to find out first which company was the one that reported this. You also want to go to the court and get a copy of the docket and/or order of dismissal to show that it was dismissed.

Once you find out what tenant screening company is reporting this information, contact them, dispute the information and incorrect and incomplete. You should also tell your landlord that reported this information that he has an affirmative duty under the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) to notify them that this was made in error, that you were never delinquent and should not have gone to eviction in the first place.

If the landlord doesn't do this, you can bring a case against the landlord and the tenant screening company. If it gets to that point, you need to contact an attorney in your area that deals with tenants rights and credit repair cases. Go to www.lawyers.com or www.legalmatch.com to find an attorney in your area. You should be able to find one that will give you a free initial consultation and better advise you of your rights, any problems with your case, likelihood of success, how courts are treating cases such as yours in your area, and what you should do next.

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?

Are you there? Please note that I am still here, awaiting your response or rating... (please note that rating closes this question out, so if there's nothing else, please rate it so that I can assist other customers that are waiting for answers to their questions)

Should I continue to await your response, or may I assist the other customers that are waiting?

My apologies, but I must assist the other customers that are waiting. If there's nothing else, please rate this answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it 3 or more stars (good or better) AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. If you feel that I have gone above and beyond in this answer (my average answer is about 10 minutes) bonuses are greatly appreciated. Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please don't forget to Rate my service positively. It's only after you rate that I am credited.

I see that you have not responded in some time. Please note that this question is still open until you rate it. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know.If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** good luck to you!

Was there anything else? Again, please note that this question remains open until you rate it 3 or more stars on your screen.