CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
71563194

I want to get rid of my time share in Orlando, but do not

Customer Question

i want to get rid of my time share in Orlando, but do not know how.
JA: The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: no i do not know of any in my area.
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Lawyer can help you best. Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: i paid for the time share up front and now each year we have to pay a maintenance fee, which i do not want to pay any more. I would rather not have the property.
JA: OK. The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Is there anything else the Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer where you can place your fully refundable $5 deposit (plus $34 after the Lawyer responds). While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and connect you two.
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 9 months ago.

Dear Customer,

Thank you for using the forum, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today.

In most cases, a timeshare can be forced back on the resort itself. They are in the best place to resell the timeshare to new buyers, and when pressed, they will often accept it back. (They may require a fee, but you can negotiate this).

Depending on where the timeshare is, it may be more or less marketable on the secondary market (just like any other form of real estate). Getting a reputable realtor to sell your timeshare is a good way to get rid of a property. Having reasonable expectations (timeshares do not generally hold value) can help, but be wary of scams (unfortunately there are a lot), check realtor licenses on the state board of realtors, and also check other third party sources (such as the BBB - do a location specific search for the city/region where the realtor/brokerage is located).

This recent article has a more thorough discussion of different options available to timeshare owners looking to get rid of their property interest: http://money.usnews.com/money/personal-finance/articles/2015/06/25/how-to-get-rid-of-your-unwanted-timeshare