Marsha411JD, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Atty, 29 yrs exp in the practice of law.
19127644

I am just wondering, but today I was going through airport

Customer Question

I am just wondering, but today I was going through airport security and I had forgot I had a couple of rounds in my backpack. They confiscated it and told me I might get a letter in the mail. What could happen from this situation? I am 21 years old and in the army
JA: The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: I have not
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Lawyer should know?
Customer: I think that is it
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer where you can place your fully refundable $5 deposit (plus $31 after the Lawyer responds). While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and connect you two.
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 8 months ago.

Thank you for the information and your question. Normally, someone who has violated the TSA rules will receive a civil penalty notice from the TSA in the mail. That is not a criminal charge, but a type of non-criminal infraction. You can read more about the process and penalty at the following link: https://www.tsa.gov/travel/civil-enforcement

Although bringing ammunition and other contraband could result in criminal charges as well from local authorities, that is more unusual and unless they indicated at the airport that you would be charged with a criminal violation, that is not likely to occur. That would be the worst case scenario for you as an active-duty servicemember, since your Command could then take adverse action against you based on the civilian criminal charge. But again, it is very doubtful that this will occur in this case unless there are facts you haven't shared that would ratchet the issue up.

Please feel free to ask for clarification if needed. If none is needed, then if you could take a moment to leave a positive rating in the box above, I will receive credit for assisting you today. Thank you.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
when they called in DHS' federal officer and he ran my license and said I was good to go and didn't get charged with anything; does that mean I should not be worried anymore?

Not necessarily. As mentioned, the civil penalty can come later as could a local law enforcement charge. However, in terms of the local charge, it just isn't likely with the facts you have given me. It is up to their discretion after they get the report from TSA, but since you apparently have no priors and this was a first time minor infraction, very doubtful you'll get a criminal violation.

Hello again,

I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any further follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the 9th. For some reason, the Experts are not always getting replies or ratings (at the top of the question/answer page you are viewing or in the pop up box for this question), which is how we get credit (paid by the Site) for our work, that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I did not receive a rating. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator. Please note that Site use works best while using a computer and using either Google Chrome or Firefox.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue, if needed. You can bookmark my page at: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-marsha411jd/

Thank you.