Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

Own timeshare in Mexico. Was contacted to sell. Wanted me to

Customer Question

Own timeshare in Mexico. Was contacted to sell. Wanted me to send money to company in Mexico for transfer of ownership. I'm now afraid it's a scam. They said if I don't complete sale will have to pay fines costing $13000 instead of the $5000 I can't verify company except on. One Internet site. I forged my wife band on contract. Would that be a loophole incase this was a legit company and they want to sue us to get the money? This thing is making me sick
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

What are the advance fees for? Are they required under the contract?

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Are you online with me?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Supposedly to pay lawyers in Mexico to transfer time share. I am having trouble verifying Austin marketing services in Colorado. Called BBB. Said they closed in 2009 but reopened six months ago but did not know if they're legit. I would sell this and pay fee if legit but my bank says there is a bunch of time share scams going on. I could forward the paper work if you want. Supposedly the buyer has $ in dreamland title and escrow in New Orleans. Couldn't find company in yellow pages. Both sent a number for there liscence. If I go to the site they sent I can verify the number but if I try to go to state site on my own I cant
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

These timeshare resale companies are notoriously predatory. As a general rule, do not send money to any company which contacts you out of the blue to say they have a buyer. If they truly had a genuine buyer, they could take the money out of escrow from the buyer's funds.

It is highly unlikely they would come to the US to sue you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The initial phone number I'm dealing with is from Colorado thougj
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

It is unlikely they have an office presence in the US.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

They can program digital systems to show any number they want.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The person contacting me has a us phone number from Denver Colorado But part of my question was if I ignore them as if it's a scam and were wrong could I get out of the fine since there wasn't two legal signatures?
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

As long as you signed, it is enforceable against you, but I do think this is a scam and they will not sue you because they do not want to call attention to themselves in a court action in the US.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What if they send me a bill how can I know if it's legit or part of a scam?
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

If they want you to front fees which could be paid from escrow then it is a scam. They have no buyer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I meant if I tell them I am not sending funds. Then get letter I owe the $13000 for not going through with it. How do I know it's not a scammer sending it to me
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Wait and see If they sue. A scammer won't ever sue.