Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I am little puzzled, and seek a quick answer regarding the

Customer Question

I am little puzzled, and seek a quick answer regarding the following inquiry.
I moved from PA state to MI in July 2015. I worked for couple months in a contract with temporary agency. Then I signed permanent contract with the same company in October same year. I am not sure for how long I will keep working for the same company. But if I intent in case I resigned. I will back to PA to purse college.
1- Do I need to change the driver license or not.
2- Which state do I need to file taxes for PA or MI. ( note I had no income in PA )
3- Is there any ramifications for not changing address or Driver license.
4- I changed My address to MI Address since I got hired as a permanent employee.
Kindly advise what should I do as this is my first move, and I am very confused, and I dont want to lose residency in PA, as am not sure I will work more than 4 months in the same company.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
1) you had to change your license to a MI license by MI law upon residing in the state for 30 days. Even though you may intend at some point to return to PA, you have been there for more than 30 days in MI and under contract with an employer, so you were supposed to change your license.
2) You are a resident in MI (even though you may have domicile in PA, you are not residing there for purposes of taxes or license or vehicle registration). So you file taxes in MI. Domicile is not the same as residence. Domicile is a place where you may or may not reside right now, but where you intend to return. However, domicile does not exempt you from registering your car and changing your license to the state where you are physically present residing.
You lost PA residency legally when you moved to MI and signed the employment contract.
3) If you are caught by the police, you would receive a citation for failure to change license/registration, it is a traffic violation with generally about a $400 fine plus court costs.
4) You need to change your license and registration to MI to be in compliance with the MI laws.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for your prompt reply.1-To clarify this point again with you. In case I returned to PA This month, what is the status of my residency. Considering the education purpose, I will be considered out of state of in state.2- If I changed the licenses and the registration. Is there any ramification for being late to change.
Thank you for your reply.
1) If you are moving back to live in PA, your state of residence would become PA again.
2) There is no ramification for the late change now.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
1-could you please advise particularly the situation of the education purpose. I am not sure How I Will be treated ( In state or out of state. ) in case I back to school. AS of now I am not considered In state student in Michigan, and If I back to PA According to what you advised that I Lost already PA residency So I will be treated as out of state student. So Which state will treat me as In state student.2- When I go to change the license and they ask how long I have been in the state. Now its over 6 months. No penalty or fees do I need to pay.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Your reply will be highly appreciated.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for your reply. Sorry for the delay, as I had an emergency client issue to deal with.
People can move back and forth between states, when they do so, they have to change their licenses. You would be treated as a resident if you rent or own property there and register to vote there when you return. Only one state where you live will treat you as an in state student.
They will NOT ask how long you lived in the state, they will take your license, give you an eye test, take your money and give you a new license.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for your reply. I definitely understand that you do your best with everyone.The issue that all states requires one year residency to be an in-state student.
So now I don't know my status I left PA, so I am not eligible for instate tuition. And have not been in MI for full one year so I am not eligible for Instate tuition as well.
From here the confusion came from. Kindly advise what is the status would be if I returned to PA this month. Will I be treated as instate or outstate. thank you
Thank you for your reply
I understand that. I also understand that many people never change their license or the registration on their vehicles. Most never get caught, but when they do they end up with tickets costing them $400 or more. You have to prove you actually live there, but if you are planning on leaving to go back to PA in a month that is another story, if you just keep saying one day, one day, then you can still prove residency in MI by showing lease or proof of physically residing there.