Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

Is it legal to restrict a guests access to medicines in

Customer Question

Is it legal to restrict a guests access to medicines in hotel room during a dispute that was the hoteliers error?
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 9 months ago.

Kindly provide proper foundation for your question.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I was denied access to my hotel room in Tulum after I told the manager i was suffering from an allergic reaction. She insisted I meet with her to discuss the problem of me being in the wrong room (which they put me in). After I asked her if she wanted me to die in the lobby did she let me in to get medication. I stressed the importance of getting to the medication quickly as it was an emergency.

Thank you for the information.

No, it is not legal. You may file complaint against the hotel with its customer service department and seek compensation for your inconvenience. However, since you were eventually given access to your medications and you did not suffer any harm, it is unlikely for you to recover substantial amount if you were to file lawsuit against the hotel.

Best wishes,