How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ray Your Own Question
Ray, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 39393
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ray is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am in seattle, new, from france. no credit story so no

Customer Question

i am in seattle, new, from france. no credit history so no bond or insurance or loan possibility.
if i bill (under construction consultant licence) only consulting, and no "work", like cutting wood, plugging wires, putting tiles, i am legal? client would know about it before, they understand my situation. thx
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.

In Washington state you would just need a business license to do such work.You apply for this online here.You are likely going to need an EIN number then for the business.


EIN for the business

This will allow you to consult and receive payments for your business here.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again and good luck with the business.

Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you are sure you understand my point? i will still do some work (help people put a piece of wood, plug an outlet, connect a pipe....), but they will know i am not licence in those things. i wish i could have this licence, in 2 years maybe i will be eligible with credit history....
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

You would need a license here if you want to be a legal consultant and be paid for it.Washington state requires a license do do contractor consulting.Otherwise you are illegal here and unlicensed.You can be fined and this would affect your ability to keep on doing this trade down the road.The state of Washington can come after you for operating illegally.You don't want that.You don't need a credit history to register and receive a license.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i know i dont need credit history for licence, but for insurance and bond, i do... that is the issue i have. i can get a licence for consultant easy. the idea i s to help people built their kitchen ot paint their house, they do part of the work. So if i help them carry some wood, plug a outlet....and bill for consultant, am i ok? or not i all?
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

They can hire you as an employee and pay you cash.That keeps you off the grid here.But if you want to go legitimate you need a license and an EIN for tax purposes later on.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i though i could go legitimate with consultant licence. not trying to be off the grid here but until insurance and bond are set, i still need to work, and i would be happy to go for the consultant licence, right now. if they pay me cash, i am limited to 12000 dolalrs.....
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

So you may have to take smaller jobs here until you have been her enough time to get bond, etc.You hope no one complains here about you not having license.May be the best you can do.

Thanks again.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i have to figure out something.....what do you think of this consultant licence? it should get me started, right?
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

Yes it s a good way to be legitimate and get off to a good start here.