How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Attorney at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27009
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Sam is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am trying to find out the licensing and premits required

Customer Question

My Name is Jo ***** ***** I am trying to find out the licensing and premits required to open a halfway house for women in Houston Texas?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The house has not been purchased but will be located in a non restricted area in Houston zip code 77091. I understand the first step is to get the proper license and permits. Where do I start?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $36 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Sam replied 11 months ago.


This is Samuel and I have responded to your original question at the other post.

Unless this is going to be a "treatment facility" there is no special licensing required. Of course, you would need to check the local zoning laws and you would want it to be in a locating that is accessible to public transportation so your clients can get to treatment, counseling, work, etc. as they will not be able to drive and most likely would not own a vehicle.

Here is the TEXAS code on treatment facilities which explains what it is and you would apply for a license via the Department of State Health Services.

The code states the following on a Treatment Facility:

(4) "Treatment" means a planned, structured, and organized program designed to initiate and promote a person's chemical-free status or to maintain the person free of illegal drugs.

(5) "Treatment facility" means:

(A) a public or private hospital;

(B) a detoxification facility;

(C) a primary care facility;

(D) an intensive care facility;

(E) a long-term care facility;

(F) an outpatient care facility;

(G) a community mental health center;

(H) a health maintenance organization;

(I) a recovery center;

(J) a halfway house;

(K) an ambulatory care facility; or

(L) any other facility that offers or purports to offer treatment.

If you are not opening a Treatment facility and only providing a place for your clients to live while still in counseling, etc then no license is required. But you would want to be sure you have Rules and Policies establish that will apply to all your clients and if you have staff the same.

While the definition does state "halfway house" I suggest if you are not going to offer counseling, treatment, etc that you verify with the Department that you indeed to not need a license. That you are only offering housing.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I paid for specific information and what I got was a reference to seek additional information. This was not money well spent and I would like a refund.
Expert:  Sam replied 11 months ago.


I will submit your request for a refund. Though your deposit will remain in tact and on balance with JA as no rating has been giving. Keep in mind you asked who you would be licensed by and I did indeed provide you that information - Treatment Centers, which would include a Halfway House if treatment such as counseling is involved is through the Department of State Health Services as I stated.

Related Legal Questions