Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

My wife and I were living in an apartment in Scottsdale

Customer Question

My wife and I were living in an apartment in Scottsdale Arizona. Our business is also located in Scottsdale. We are now moving out of the country yet wish to keep the apartment as more or less a corporate apartment.
We've allowed one of the company employees to live there and we plan to reserve the other bedroom for ourselves when we come to visit the office one every month or two.
Would it be fair to call this now a business apartment? Can we pay the costs out of the business? If we didn't keep this $1000 monthly expense we may incur at least that amount or more in hotel fees during our regular visits.
Expert:  Loren replied 9 months ago.

Good morning. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Expert:  Loren replied 9 months ago.

Is the tenant on the lease listed as you and your wife, personally, or the business?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Currently we are all personally on the lease but that could probably be amended. However, the lease will still of course require the names on it and agreement to tenancy terms, etc
Expert:  Loren replied 9 months ago.

In order to be used as a corporate apartment the lease will need to be amended to show the business as the tenant and it must be used for "business purposes". You can be guarantors personally, but the tenant of record must be the company.

Expert:  Loren replied 9 months ago.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?