Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

I am an insurance agent. I have received a consent order

Customer Question

I am an insurance agent. I have received a consent order from the insurance commissioner. I do not agree to all of the things listed in the order. They want me to sign and not date and send back to them. My question is a consent order a list of thing that could happen and the punishment is giving at a later time or is this the final answer to the issue? Also, if I refuse to sign due to not agreeing with the statements, where does it go from there?
A brief background: I was terminated from a company. My clients gave me permission to contact the companies stating I was them to obtain information regarding the policies. The insurance company contacted the insurance commissioner office to start this investigation. They are trying to say that I did this behind my clients back.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 9 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts.

A consent order or a consent judgment is determined solely by its terms. Therefore, it could be a final answer to everything or there could be more later, depending on what the order says. To know for certain you would need to take it to a local lawyer, along with the rest of the paperwork, and have them review it and then tell you whether it resolves everything or not. determining what it says requires legal advice, which we aren't allowed to give because it requires an attorney client relationship which none of the experts on here can enter into with you.

As to not signing, if you don't sign the order then it proceeds to a final hearing where a judgment will be entered either for you or against you. A consent order is usually a way to settle a case where neither side gets all of what they wanted but each side gets some of what they want, just like settling a regular lawsuit.