Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

I am a social worker at Baylor. My patient is undocumented,

Customer Question

I am a social worker at Baylor. My patient is undocumented, but wants to help
JA: The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: a young friend of the family by becoming his legal guardian
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: what is the process for her to become the legal guardian of this teen? His mother doesnt care
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Lawyer should know?
Customer: He has been missing school b/c his mother doesnt take him
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Expert:  Ely replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Can you please tell me what state this is in?

This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Texas
Expert:  Ely replied 9 months ago.

Thank you.

What the person wants to do is to file a Suit Affecting Parent Child Relationship with the Court and ask for CONSERVATORSHIP (meaning custody). The parent (mother and father if possible) should then sign a WAIVER of SERVICE to be filed along with the pleading.

Then the Court will assign a guardian/attorney ad litem to the child who can represent the child, and a review of the household of the person will be done. Assuming no issues are found, the Court should then award her the conservatorship, making her a legal guardian.

The matter normally takes a few months. Counsel is recommended as this matter can be somewhat complicated.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Expert:  Ely replied 9 months ago.
Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!