How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barrister Your Own Question
Barrister, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 33796
Experience:  15 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Barrister is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Traffic Law: Reporting an accident in NY state. I am a New

Customer Question

Traffic Law: Reporting an accident in NY state. I am a New Jersey Drive that commutes to NYC every day. Today I brushed a parked BMW with my car. Damage to both cars was minimal clearly under $1000 each car. He just had a scoff mark on his bumper where as I had a black rubber streak mark on my door panel and some paint came off (no dents viable on either car. I look around for 30 Minute for the owner of the other car but could not find Him/or her. I then decided to leave a note on his windshield with my name pate number and phone number requesting them to contact me. Since, I was late for work I then left the note on the windshield and left for work.
In the New Jersey Drives manual (NJ is where I am from) this is acceptable practice. But did I do the right thing as far as the state of new York is concerned. What else, if anything should I do?
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Barrister replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.


New York Vehicle and Traffic Law § 600. Leaving scene of an incident without reporting

Under NY Vehicle Code you are close to compliance with the law, but you still have to report the incident to the nearest police station to the incident.


1. Property damage. a. Any person operating a motor vehicle who, knowing or having cause to know that damage has been caused to the real property or to the personal property, not including animals, of another, due to an incident involving the motor vehicle operated by such person shall, before leaving the place where the damage occurred, stop, exhibit his or her license and insurance identification card for such vehicle, when such card is required pursuant to articles six and eight of this chapter, and give his or her name, residence, including street and number, insurance carrier and insurance identification information including but not limited to the number and effective dates of said individual's insurance policy, and license number to the party sustaining the damage, or in case the person sustaining the damage is not present at the place where the damage occurred then he or she shall report the same as soon as physically able to the nearest police station, or judicial officer.


So you need to report it to the police tomorrow at the latest to be incompliance with NY law.





Related Legal Questions