Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

My husband is a Over The Road trucker. s employer paid to

Customer Question

My husband is a Over The Road trucker. His employer paid to fly him out to there facilities in Gary, IN for training and begin work. He put his two week notice in a week ago and they sent him on his way Monday 2/29/2016. Instead of 3/4/2016. Sucks! When they did send him home they sent him to there terminal in Atlanta, GA and I had to drive 500 miles round trip. We thought (like they had done while employed) they would reemburse us for the gas. We are being told no.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Legally, if an employee puts in their 2 week notice, the employer does not keep them employed all 2 weeks and the employer can let them go immediately. Once his employment is terminated the employer is not responsible for paying his way back I am afraid. He is responsible for bringing the truck to the terminal per the employer's instructions and as such it is his liability to get home from that point I am afraid. We get this often and we tell truckers to never give notice while on the road because the employer is not liable for getting them home.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
His employer told him that if he did that they would turn him in on his DAC report for abandoning his truck.
Thank you for your reply.
If he did what? He has to return the truck to where the employer tells him to return it, which is what I said above. They cannot report him if he returns the truck to where they told him to return it.