Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

I have received a letter from my previous employer regarding

Customer Question

I have received a letter from my previous employer regarding money that I owe them. I do not want to dispute this. I would just like to pay the money they state I owe. Do I have any guarantee that that is the end of the situation. Should I ask for an agreement in writing? Is it best to have an attorney represent me even though I do not dispute the amount?
Expert:  Ely replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

If someone in your situation does not wish to argue over the allegation and simply wishes to pay the money, then a written release from them is a good idea, so that they cannot file any claim later on. I am providing a sample below:

Release

(PARTY ONE) and (PARTY TWO) agree:

WHEREAS, certain disputes have occurred between the parties hereto, and, WHEREAS, they desire to amicably resolve these disputes and acknowledge the extinguishment of any and all debts, obligations, and liabilities of any kind between the parties, IT IS AGREED:

That in consideration of this agreement, the parties mutually release one another from all claims of any kind whatsoever with regards ***** ***** from the beginning of time to the date of the execution of this agreement, and that this mutual release shall be valid and binding and insure for the benefit of the heirs, successors and assigns of both parties.

This release shall only become considered binding upon (1) the transfer if $___ from PARTY TWO to PARTY ONE and (2) both parties signing the agreement.

Dated: _________________

________________________________________________________________

PARTY ONE

PARTY TWO

- - -

It is best to have an attorney indeed, however it is not mandatory.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
What type of attorney would you recommend for this type of arrangement?
Expert:  Ely replied 9 months ago.

A GENERAL PRACTICE or CONTRACT/TRANSACTIONAL attorney.

Gentle Reminder: Please, use REPLY or SEND button to keep chatting, or RATE POSITIVELY and SUBMIT your rating when we are finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.

Expert:  Ely replied 9 months ago.
Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!