Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

My business had a corporation from Jan through July which

Customer Question

My business had a corporation from Jan through July which was dissolved and opened a new corporation from August through December. I use a payroll company called paychex. We received 1099s and w2s from only one corporation. Never received the 1st corporation until Feb 23rd. Three of my employees filed their taxes before receiving the first half of the year. They now have to ammend at $100 each. Paychex will not pay for this, which I believe they are at fault. What are my legal rights
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If the payroll company made a mistake and they were responsible for handling the information, then they are liable to the employees for the costs of amending. The employees would have to file suit in small claims against the payroll company for the costs they incurred for payroll company not sending out the information on time as they were supposed to do. You need to inform the payroll company that it was their failure to send the information in a timely manner that caused this to occur and if they refuse to reimburse the costs, the employees will be forced to sue them (which they can do in small claims court without an attorney).
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you so much.
Thank you for your reply.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.