Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
8534270

I'm 60 yrs old and anm being offered a job in Asia. How will

Customer Question

I'm 60 yrs old and anm being offered a job in Asia. How will my social security be impacted ? I've averaged about $175K for the past five years. Would working a partial year bring down my future benefits ? Would I still be required to pay spousal support ? Can my spouse garnish my social security or 401K if spoudsal support not paid ? Would I pay taxes if I made over a certain income oversees ?
Expert:  Ray replied 9 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you tonight.

Here if you have not yet field for social security it should not be affected here.

If you have court ordered spousal support you are obligated to pay that until the courts modify the orders.They can pursue you for contempt and a judgment to ex wife.

They cannot garnish 401k or social security.The can garnish bank accounts if they have a judgment.That would be the risk here.

If you are a US citizen claiming US residency you likely pay US income taxes.As a U.S. citizen or resident alien, your worldwide income generally is subject to U.S. income tax regardless of where you are living. Also, you are subject to the same income tax return filing requirements that apply to U.S. citizens or residents living in the United States.

Reference

http://www.taxmeless.com/IRS593Publication.htm

i thin k I answered your questions here, please let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again.