Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

Looking /law that covers me as a farmer of livestock in the

Customer Question

looking for code/law that covers me as a farmer of livestock in the State of Georgia.
I want to know what law covers me in killing a harrasing dog(s) that continue to come on my property and run my livestock. My livestock has not been killed yet, but it only a matter of time.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 9 months ago.

O.C.G.A. 4-8-5 (2010)
4-8-5. Cruelty to dogs; authorized killing of dogs

(a) No person shall perform a cruel act on any dog; nor shall any person harm, maim, or kill any dog, or attempt to do so, except that a person may:

(1) Defend his person or property, or the person or property of another, from injury or damage being caused by a dog; or

(2) Kill any dog causing injury or damage to any livestock or poultry.

(b) The method used for killing the dog shall be designed to be as humane as is possible under the circumstances. A person who humanely kills a dog under the circumstances indicated in subsection (a) of this Code section shall incur no liability for such death.

(c) This Code section shall not be construed to limit in any way the authority or duty of any law enforcement officer, dog or rabies control officer, humane society, or veterinarian.

http://law.justia.com/codes/georgia/2010/title-4/chapter-8/article-1/4-8-5

That law should cover you, section (a)(2)