Delta-Lawyer
Delta-Lawyer, Attorney
Experience:  10 years practicing IP law and general litigation
12711280

I have a judgement on my car. its in a state of irrepair. if

Customer Question

I have a judgement on my car. its in a state of irrepair. if im able to buy another vehicle would the judgement go to the next car i get?
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 9 months ago.

I hope this message finds you well, present circumstances excluded. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of experience handling matters such as this one. It is a pleasure to assist you today.

The judgment is technically attached to you and the collection agency will attempt to attach it to any new vehicle that you attempt to register in the state. So, unfortunately, simply by purchasing and registering another vehicle, you will not necessarily get away from this issue. Moreover, the collection agency can file an amended petition with a court of proper jurisdiction and have any hold or lien attached to your new registration that way as well.

I wish I had better news for you here. Let me know if you have any other questions or comments. Please also rate my answer positively (three or more stars) so I can receive credit for my work.

Best wishes going forward!

Just checking to see if you had any additional questions. I want to make sure you are as comfortable as possible moving forward. Thanks

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Will it cost more to ask additional ?s on this topic?

Nope. Feel free to ask away. I do request that you rate my answer positively. But I will continue to answer your questions. My goal is that you are comfortable when you leave knowing how you have to proceed going forward.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok thank u. Would the motor vehicle disclose to the collection agency automatically that I have a different car
or is this something the collection agency has to look up? Wondering also why they didn't take my present car? Is it speculation to assume they'll just put a lien and not take the newer car? Is their some way this is determined?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Also would they have any recourse if I leased a car?

Would the motor vehicle disclose to the collection agency automatically that I have a different car
or is this something the collection agency has to look up?

The Collection Agency would have to look into this to find out about the new registration.

Is it speculation to assume they'll just put a lien and not take the newer car? Is their some way this is determined?

Interesting question. I doubt they are waiting on you to get another vehicle. I would imagine they realize the lien is worthless and not worth the time to perfect. As such, if they do find out you have a new car, I would imagine they will go back to court to try to get a lien on it. They court may not let this happen though since they did not try to perfect they lien they already had in place.

If you lease a car, they will not be able to place a lien on it. That is a great idea!

Let me know if you have other questions and please don't forget to rate my answer positively (three or more stars on the ratings interface).

Thanks!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Would I receive a notification by the court if they put a lien on another car if I register it or can they do that without notifying me first? And if they were in fact going to put a lien on another car in my name would I be able to go to court to object?

Yes, you would receive another notification from the court. Also, yes, you would be notified of a hearing and be able to enter your objection to entering another judgment against you on another vehicle. That is correct.