Delta-Lawyer
Delta-Lawyer, Attorney
Experience:  10 years practicing IP law and general litigation
12711280

If I signed a federal plea agreement -18 months and 3 years

Customer Question

If I signed a federal plea agreement for 9-18 months and 3 years supervise release ,how long can they keep me on supervise release....And can you please refer me to any case
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 11 months ago.

I hope this message finds you well. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of criminal defense law experience. It is a pleasure to assist you today.

If the plea agreement states a period of three years for supervised release, then that is precisely how long the court has jurisdiction over the matter, unless you breach a provision of the supervised release. This is not an issue of case law as this has been well accepted for many decades. It a way, it is more akin to a contract.

The supervised release period will start upon your release from custody. It is very rare that a court lifts a supervised release early.

Let me know if you have any other questions or comments. Please also rate my answer positively (three or more stars).

Best wishes going forward!

Just checking to see if you had any additional questions. I want to make sure you are as comfortable as possible moving forward. Thanks