Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

My Form 1099 shows a yearly cost of $ 2,517.60 Part. I am 77

Customer Question

My Form 1099 shows a yearly cost of $ 2,517.60 for Medicare Part B. I am 77 years old. My friends of similar age say they are having HALF that amount deducted. Is there some reason mine is twice theirs. I have received no notification of this change. My social security number is ***** *********. -
Gary **************
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You need to check with the employer, since most all participants pay about $104.90 per month. If they are charging you more than that, then they either are improperly charging you or you are being provided with a premium plan above a standard part B plan. You have to contact them though as only they can explain the charges to you.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I do not have an employer (retired). It is Social Security that has doubled the Medicare Part B premium to $2,517.60 as shown on their 1099. I thought I was talking with a Social Security Representative. Who am I supposed to talk to to get an answer?
Thank you for your clarification.
SSA's own page says that Part B should cost 104.90, so only they can explain why they are billing you more than that per month. We are not SSA, we are a private site that provides information to customers about how to handle their situations, you contact the SSA at https://www.ssa.gov/agency/contact/