Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

TO CONFRONT MY X LAWYER IN THE SC FEE DISPUTE PROCESS. DO

Customer Question

I AM PREPARING TO CONFRONT MY X LAWYER IN THE SC FEE DISPUTE PROCESS. DO YOU HAVE ANY ADVICE FOR ME- HOT SPOTS I SHOULD ADDRESS? HE ALSO CHARGED ME $650 TO COMPILE THE ONE AND ONLY BILL I RECEIVED. I THINK THAT IS A COST OFF DOING BUSINESS, BUT IS IT NORMAL PRACTICE HERE?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
When challenging a fee dispute, you need to go through the bill line by line to look at what services they performed and also through your fee agreement regarding the hourly rate. The rules of professional conduct state that the attorney can set his own rates which must be reasonable based on the work he performs. Attorney's bill by fraction of the hour and hourly for all time spent on your case, so you need to attack the specific task he is billing for to argue that the time spent was not reasonable based on the amount of time it should take to perform that task by the reasonable attorney.