Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

I just bought a fake id online, and after researching it, i

Customer Question

I just bought a fake id online, and after researching it, i found out its illegal just to be in possesion of one. Aslo that customs sometimes finds it and you could suffer legal ramifications. The site i ordered from doesnt cancel orders, so i am wondering if i should contact customs before the order ships so i wouldnt be in any trouble if they had found it otherwise? or should i not and hope for the best?
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 9 months ago.

Say nothing and hope for the best. Unless customs is aware of this particular company, the odds they will seize your shipment are just about zero. You would not make anything better by contacting customs and confessing to a crime. You will make things much worse.

If you say nothing and the item arrives, you can destroy it and that solves the problem. If you say nothing and Customs finds it, they will send you a notice to claim or forfeit it. If you do nothing when you get that letter, they will not be able to prosecute you for ordering it because you've made no admissions that you ordered it and intended to possess it.

In short, with a situation like this, doing nothing is always the best policy;.