Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I started college January 2016. I was approved federal pell

Customer Question

I started college January 2016. I was approved for my federal pell grant which was $2,887. After tuition and other fees where paid I was able to get a few of the school books required for my online classes. I still had a couple of school books to get and other things need for school so I applied for a $3000 student loan. After agreeing to the master promise note I was approved. The funds were added to my account for hinds community college so I could buy the things needed for classes from the on campus bookstore. After I bought everything I had around $2,800 left on my account. Anything left over gets put on a hinds community card that is through Higher One Bank. You get half of what is left over on February 26, 2016 and the rest on March 18, 2016. I received a e-mail from studentloans.gov saying that everything was approved and the school has approved my $3000 loan and it would be put on my cardon the disbursement days. Today on February 26, 2016 I checked to see if everything was ok. I seen that the school refund was only $447 when it should have been around $1,400. So I call from 10 am to 1 pm to find out what was wrong. Well apparently on February 24, 2016 two days befor disbursement, they seen that I was filed as a out of state student. They never contacted me in anyway to let me know that they were going to now reduce my loan. They told me that nothing could be done and mistakes happen. I asked the person how a mistake like this could go on for almost two months and is now being taken away from me because of their mistakes. This was not my fault. I am the person that had to repay the student loan when I graduate and for two months I believed that I was going to be rewarded the money that was promised to me just to find out that I can't get it which has cause emotional problems because I now couldn't afford to help pay for school and getting my car fixed so I could make it to my proctored exams for school. I feel that something can be done to fix this problem. I feel that the loan should have never been taken away when they were in the wrong. Is there anything I can do legal wise? I don't think they could take it away without talking to me. I have the direct one form from studentloans.gov to prove that everything was in the clear and I was good to go. Thank you for the time th I read this and I hope maybe we can do something.
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 9 months ago.

When the school discovered their mistake, they should have notified you first before reducing your loan. However, even if they made the mistake by approving you for more loan than you are entitled based on your out-of-state status, they can rescind the loan after discovering their mistake. That sounds very unfair and it is, but it is nonetheless legal. So, there is no legal duty on the part of the school to reinstate your original loan. However, you need to make sure that the Promissory Note is amended to reflect the correct amount of loan actually give to you.

I am sorry that I do not have better news for you.