How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 38438
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
Type Your Legal Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I build motorized bicycles, that are legal in the State of

Customer Question

I build motorized bicycles, that are legal in the State of California to be driven on public roads with no requirement of insurance, valid drivers license or registration. What liability insurance should I have to cover any equipment related injuries, even though in the sales contract is the same statement that Motorcycle Dealerships use to hold them and the manufacturer innocent of compensation of injuries for operating the motorcycle.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  socrateaser replied 1 year ago.


Customer service asked me to assist. I am a member of the State Bar of California, the U.S. District Court for the Central District of California (Los Angeles, Ventura, San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara, Orange, Riverside and San Bernardino Counties), and the California and National Associations of Realtors.

The insurance you want to obtain is "product liability insurance." A lawsuit for product liability cannot be avoided by a customer liability waiver -- especially because there is no guarantee that the customer will be the person injured by your product. Any third-party rider/operator can sue you for their injuries, and your contractual waiver would be useless to protect you from a damage claim.

Also, if the operator is under the age of 18, then that person could have an independent claim against you, despite the waiver of their parent as part of the purchase of the vehicle.

Bot***** *****ne, if you don't have product liability insurance, then you are at extreme risk of legal action, should your product injure an operator (or, a bystander).

I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer -- otherwise, I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!

Expert:  socrateaser replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

I see that you have reviewed my answer, but that you have not provided a rating. Do you need any further clarification concerning my answer, or is everything satisfactory?

If you need further clarification, concerning this matter, please feel free to ask. If not, I would greatly appreciate a positive feedback rating for my answer -- otherwise I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!

Related Legal Questions