Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

My car registration/tags were expired. I was pulled over,

Customer Question

My car registration/tags were expired. I was pulled over, given a citation, and the car was impounded. There is a hold on renewing the tags due to tax debt which will take a few weeks to clear up. Can I have the car towed from impound to my home while I straighten this out?
JA: OK. The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: Not yet
JA: Please tell me your email address, in case we get disconnected.
Customer:***@******.***
JA: Thanks. Are you ready to speak with the Lawyer now?
Customer: Sure
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

Generally, it is not possible to have the vehicle released from impound until/unless all holds or liens have been cleared. You certainly can ask the impound about this, but the answer isn't likely going to be the one you want to hear.