Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

DO YOU HANDLE LEGAL QUESTIONS REGARDING INDIA?

Customer Question

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 9 months ago.

Sometimes we can handle questions regarding India. It depends on the question. What is yours?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I HAVE AN ACCOUNT IN MY NAME IN A BANK IN INDIA. RESERVE BANK OF INDIA. I HAVE BEEN PAYING ALL SORTS OF FEES TO MAINTAIN THIS MONEY. THE BANK WANTS ME TO TRANSFER THE MONEY OUT OF THEIR BANK. I HAVE B EEN TRYING TO DO THAT. FOR TWO DAYS I WAS TRYING TO TRANSFER THE FUNDS TO MY ACCOUNT IN THE U.S. AND THEN I FOUND OUT THAT I NEEDED A COST OF TRANSFER CODE. THE BANK WILL NOT GIVE ME THE CODE UNTIL I PAY THEM OVER $36,000.00USD. THIS DOESN'T SEEM RIGHT. I JUST WANT TO TRANSFER THE FUNDS AND NEVER BANK THERE AGAIN.
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 9 months ago.

Frankly, it doesn't seem right to me either, and we only hear of these sorts of things in internet frauds of one kind or another, where you think you've been paying various fees for the release of funds that aren't real in an account that isn't real either. Usually the victim has been led to believe he's got an inheritance, but there are other variations.

The key here is the Cost of Transfer Code. That's a huge red flag and is a term only used in scams. You can see one such scam report about it here. You think you have a bank account because there's a website that looks legitimate, but your money is going directly to scammers. This particular "bank" is in Africa, but if this sort of thing sounds familiar to you then this is a job for law enforcement. You need to stop paying these people because there is no bank, there is no money, there are no "fees" and the people you are dealing with are simply internet thieves.

Report the fraud to your police and to the FBI online at IC3.gov because the only possibility of getting your money back is if law enforcement can find out who and where these people really are and bring them to justice.

If you're not convinced you're being swindled, I'd be happy to look over any documents you want to upload to this thread, because a scam like this one is elaborate and comes with phony bank sites, phony bank managers, phony lawyers, false documents and so forth.