Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

I was convicted of anon violent felony in NY 20 yrs ago how

Customer Question

i was convicted of anon violent felony in NY 20 yrs ago how do i getmy civil rights back
Expert:  Sam replied 9 months ago.

Hello

This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.

What Civil Rights are you referring to, please. Under NY law, a person with a felony conviction who has completed their sentence is Eligible to Vote, they only need to be registered. You can register to vote at your local or state election board.

You cannot serve on a jury or own a firearm, without first having the matter expunged and sealed. If you were convicted of a non violent drug charge you can Petition the Court of Conviction for the expungment and sealing.

However, any other felony conviction you would first need to receive a Pardon/Clemency.

I suggest you can review this LINK for information on the Pardon/Clemency. Once you are granted that, you can then petition the court for expungment and sealing. That would be the process if you want to serve on a jury or have firearm rights restored.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
i woud like to get a firearm
Expert:  Sam replied 9 months ago.

Thank you. If your felony was not for a drug charge, then you would need to apply for the Pardon. Once you get the pardon you can petition the court for an expungment and sealing of records. You need to have the arrest records sealed so nothing appears on your NICS background check.

Expert:  Sam replied 9 months ago.

So it is 3 part process

1- apply for pardon. This is not an overnight process. It may take 12 to 18 months depending on backlog.
2- Petition the court for expungment and sealing.
3- Once granted take those orders to the arresting police agency so they can clear it's database of your arrest records.