Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

I filed chapter 7 bankruptcy in 2005. And now in 2016, a law

Customer Question

I filed chapter 7 bankruptcy in 2005. And now in 2016 , a law firm representing the city of Chicago contacts me and says I owe $3000 for a vehicle that was towed in 2004 that was registered in my name. I remember including this tow charge in my chapter 7 case. The gentleman told me that chapter 7 cases does not apply to city of Chicago fines. Is this true?
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 9 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts.

Unfortunately, they're correct. Debts to government agencies for fines and penalties are specifically exempt from bankruptcy filings.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks so much for your very quick response .

You're very welcome.

Best wishes to you and please don't forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work.